Labour has published “The Future is Ours”, a manifesto for young people which will include an additional £1 billion of investment in youth services and the Party’s commitment to votes at 16.
I work regularly with parents of young people who are struggling with youth services that have been cut. Investment in youth services in Swindon could save us £1000s tackling drug and gang-related issues, reduce the need for out of area foster placement and save our schools money.
In Labour’s Youth Manifesto, the Party has pledged to tackle intergenerational inequality and deliver real change for young people. The manifesto outlines radical steps to ensure that every young person has the support they need to fulfil their potential and feel secure in their future.
The Party’s offer for young people includes:
• Votes at 16 and automatic voter registration.
• An end to tuition fees and bringing back maintenance grant.
• Free bus travel for under 25s.
• Climate apprenticeship programme for school leavers.
• Banning unpaid internships.
• A Real Living Wage of £10 per hour for everyone over the age of 16.
• Reforming Help to Buy to focus it on first-time buyers on ordinary incomes.
• Doubling the annual spending on children and adolescent mental health services.
• 3,500 qualified counsellors to guarantee every child access to school counsellors.
• Investing in the youth justice system.
By tripling tuition fees, scrapping maintenance grants and shutting down hundreds of youth centres, the Tories showed they don’t care about young people. Across the country, young people are taking to the streets and leading the climate strikes, they’re campaigning on issues they care about, and using social media to make their voices heard.
I’ve met so many of our wonderful young people in Swindon, actually there are a fair few helping out with my campaign! They are our future and I want that future to be as bright as possible.
The next Labour government will take radical steps, from building a National Youth Service to tackling the climate crisis, to ensure that every young person has the support they need to fulfil their potential and feel secure in their future.
This election is a once-in-a-generation chance to rebuild and transform our country. The future is ours to make. It’s time for real change so that no one is held back, and no one is left behind.
Click on the button below to read The Future is Ours – and share it!!